Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Major Pain

How do you handle pain?

I am going on day 7 of a major headache. Yesterday I visited the doctor, wondering if I had an ear infection. The pain has been located only on the left side of my face, usually centering in my temple, but often radiating under my eye, or down to my jaw. I frequently have a stabbing or pulsing pain. My sleep is often interrupted, today at one point it felt like someone was jabbing my ear with an ice pick. Advil is my friend. The doctor said I have a virus attacking my trigeminal nerve, ( I will try to explain this as best I can, I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on t.v.) there is one trigeminal nerve on each side of your face. The nerve branches into 3 nerves near your ear and one part goes to your head, one is under your eye towards your nose the other runs down by your jaw.

My mother-in-law suffered from Trigeminal Neuralgia, constant pain, which would intensify when she was outside on a cold windy day. She has had lots of sympathy for me, and is worried it will develop into what she had. She finally underwent surgery to numb the nerve. I now have more empathy for her than I did when she was in pain.

I feel like a wimp. I don't like to take medication, I've had 4 babies without drugs, even endured back labor, but this is kicking my butt. I haven't slept well in a week, a few times I have almost cried. Waiting for the Advil to kick in almost kills me. I think I am Dr. Jeckle/Mr. Hyde. Once the Advil starts to work, I almost feel normal, but occasionally I'll have times when the pain is stronger than the medicine.

I am determined to defeat this. Tomorrow I will not go back to bed after the kids leave for school. I will stay up and go jogging, maybe with the pain in my face, I won't notice the pain I feel when I jog. I will also be kinder to my kids, less grouchy. I will smile.

To all those who suffer from chronic pain, you have my fullest sympathy and support.
Heather

11 comments:

Deanne said...

Oh Heather I am sooo sorry you are in such pain!!! Was the doctor able to give you anything other than a diagnosis?? (hee hee, I used 'diagnosis' in a sentence! I sound so grown up!) I hope it clears up very soon for you. I'll be praying for you! Hang in there! Hey, maybe now is the time to get that epidural? :)

Mary said...

Oh my gosh! Heather, I don't know how you are making it through the day, that sounds terrible! I hope you and your doctor can figure out how to get rid of that soon. Poor girl!

Deanne - haha, it does sound like a good time for an epidural :)

Super Happy Girl said...

:( I'm so sorry (((Heather))) soft hugs for you.
You feel like a wimp? Woman, I hurt just reading what you wrote!. So, what can they do about it? Does it help if you put a warmed up cloth on the area?

You know, drastic problems call for drastic measures

wendy said...

Oh, heather! I'm so sorry! I wish I could come swoop off the kids and deliver a batch of hot soup.

Will it go away soon? Epidural - not a bad idea!

Unknown said...

I have never had to live with chronic pain and judging from what a wimp I am when I'm sick, I pray I never have to! I hope you have a diagnosis soon. In the interim, whenever I feel crummy or exhausted, it always helps to workout!

orchard_girl said...

Today was so much better. I've had a slight headache, at times it was a headache. But it wasn't too bad, and I was even able to go without the advil.

I didn't make it out running, we woke up to several inches of fresh snow, and a 2 hour delay school start. So we were lazy and ate pancakes for breakfast instead.

Thanks for everyone's sympathy!
Heather

Laurie said...

Gosh, Heather! I am so sorry you are not feeling well! Please baby yourself! You deserve it!

Inspiration Move said...

Heather, I hope you are feeling better. Have you heard anything from the doctor yet? Can he prescribe anything stronger than advil? I am a total wimp with pain.

Super Happy Girl said...

So, are you ok?

wendy said...

How's your head feeling today? I was thinking about you yesterday. I hope you are getting some relief from your pain.

Your title made me think of something a little funny - we have a friend in the Air Force named Kent Payne. He is a major. Major Payne. wa ha ah!

orchard_girl said...

Major Payne-wahaha.

I am feeling much better, every now and then, the headache will come back. But as for constant pain, it is gone.
Heather