Sunday, February 11, 2007

Feel the Love


Round two!


For Valentine's Day, I aim to celebrate all day long. We start breakfast with heart shaped biscuits, thanks in part to Bisquick. I serve it with scrambled eggs, bacon and oj. Each place setting is decorated with a heart shaped paper place mat and a small gift. This year the gift is bubble soap.


I also need to make something for the kids who walk with ours to the bus stop. They are foster kids, their foster family is great, but they really enjoy special treats.


For lunch I try to continue the heart/red theme, heart shaped sandwiches, red jello, heart shaped dessert (cookies or brownies) etc.


Dinner is the main event. Before kids we use to go out to dinner. But that is almost impossible these days. (by the way, how much do you pay teenage babysitters?) Rick has agreed to bbq either tri-tip or salmon. We'll also have salad and bread. But the fun part is dessert.


My parents tradition is to make German Chocolate Cake. In the past I've dipped strawberries in chocolate, or made Creme Brulee. But this year I've been considering making Cherry Pie (one of Rick's favorites) or Cheese Cake.


So vote on your favorite. If you were coming to dinner would you prefer German Chocolate Cake, Creme Brulee, Cherry Pie or Cheese Cake?


Here's my Creme Brulee Recipe:

8 egg yolks

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups heavy cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup sugar (for the top)


1. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is thick and a pale yellow.


2. Add cream and vanilla, continue to whisk until blended. Strain unto a large bowl, skimming off any foam or bubbles. Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups.


3. Place in a water bath and bake until set around the edges but still loose in the center, about 40-50 minutes. If using larger ramekins it may take longer.


4. Remove from oven and leave in the water bath until cool.


5. Remove cups from the water bath and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.


6. When ready to serve sprinkle a few blueberries or huckleberries on top. Push into the custard. Sprinkle sugar on top, tipping ramekin to get full coverage, pour off excess sugar. Using a small hand-held torch, or place under broiler until sugar melts. Re-chill custards for a few minutes before serving.

Enjoy!
Heather

3 comments:

wendy said...

Crem Bruele sounds very grown up! If I were coming to your house for dinner, I would be thrilled to just hang out. But I know the food is always good over there, so I would be secretly hoping for cheese cake. It would be just the thing to go with Ricks perfect tri-tip and shrimp!

Deanne said...

What kind of choice is that?? I want it all? Can that be an option?! :)

What is bubble soap?

Your day sounds fabulous! I may not be doing as much as you, but I think my kids will enjoy their little gifts and special day!

Thanks for sharing your ideas and plans! Your a cool mom!

Inspiration Move said...

I say cheesecake. But creme brulee is great! Sorry to vote late! What did you end up making for dessert?