Thursday, February 22, 2007

Book Tag

Mary tagged me for this.

The Rules of the game:
1. Find the nearest book to you.
2. Name the book and author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page.
5. Copy out the next 3 sentences and post to your blog.
6. Tag three other people.

Well the closest book was, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, but page 123 was rather boring. The first 3 sentences were: Take a good look at each sound. Say it slowly if you can. Don't get fooled.

So I reached for the next closest book, Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime. It only goes to page 67.

So I walked a bit further to my library stack. Waiting for me is Indian Summer by John Knowles, for background he wrote A Separate Peace and Peace Breaks Out. I enjoyed both of those while in High School, and I was excited to find another book by him.

The voice, which was low, clogged, and expressionless, asked the routine questions. Squirming nervously but gazing with his levelest green stare past the nose into the glazed eyes, Cleet responded as though under oath. Eventually the transaction was finished, and turning, executing virtually a military about-face, Cleet crossed to the entrance of the building, looking neither to right nor left, experiencing some of the emotions a youth leaving a whorehOuse for the first time might feel: relief, revelation, shame, discomfort, deflation, impatience, and a battered sense of new maturity.

Wow, sounds interesting, I'll have to finish my Dick Frances book tonight so I can get started on it. Never thought I'd type the word whorehOuse on my blog.

This was fun. I now tag: Deanne, Wendy, and Laurie

------
Yesterday I helped in Abby's second grade class. I decided to stay and have lunch with her and Peter. Eating lunch at school is a learning and enlightening experience. I am always amazed at how little the kids eat. One girl, who was telling me that some days Abby will just drink her juice, eat 1/2 her half sandwich and all of her cookies, only had a slice of pizza and chocolate milk for lunch. She took about 4 bites and ran out to play. Several other kids had the pizza, and a few apple and orange slices, but I didn't see very many of them eat the fruit. Very few kids brought their own lunches. Another of Abby's friends had chocolate milk with her sack lunch, she only ate her peanut butter and butter sandwich, throwing the rest away. Watching how fast the kids stuffed their faces was like watching the Nathan's Hot Dog contest, see how much you can eat in 2 minutes so you don't waste any recess time.

I then went out to recess with Abby and Peter. We played tag, or as Peter calls it, tag-your-it(one word). We wanted to jump rope but couldn't find a long jump rope, so I spun around holding a short one while the kids jumped it. After getting very dizzy some of the other kids took turns. Trying to jump while your head is spinning is about impossible. After Abby's recess ended, Peter and I chased each other around the jungle gym. Kids flocked to watch me squeeze through different climbing things. What a great workout!

We watched the movie Super Size Me a while ago. I think a cure for the poor lunch choices/decisions for teenagers would be to give them 1/2 portions, 2 minutes to eat and a jungle gym. Make the teens play tag, jump rope or play hot lava monster for 30 minutes a day. I'm thinking I need to eat lunch more often with my kids!

8 comments:

Millie said...

I love your meme - I'm stealing it. :) Hope that's OK.

Lana said...

that's a great book!

school lunch is not my favorite mommy/kid activity but for some reason the kids all love it.

wendy said...

Don't get fooled! I remember that. That is burned in my brain....

Emily and Sydney eat, like, two bites at lunch, then come home STARVING! Luckily that also bring home their un-eaten lunches - so they have that for snack. I should stay and have lunch with Emily next week. Good idea!

wendy said...

I posted up my book notes.

Super Happy Girl said...

What a fun Meme! I'm also stealing it for next week.
I love that Junie B Jones, she's so much fun.

Hot lava monster? Love that game.

orchard_girl said...

millie/nco have fun with the book tag.

txmommy-the noise level in the cafeteria was a bit overwheleming. Not exactly my favorite thing to do, but it was fun spending time with the 2 big kids.

Wendy-Peter would eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches all day everyday. He asks for one as soon as he gets home.

Hot Lava Monster is the best game! For some reason it always reminds me of Scooby Doo

Millie said...

Thanks! Mine's up. I love memes with such specific instructions, like a treasure hunt or something. :)

Laurie said...

Heather, I've just gotten caught up reading your blog. So many fun posts! I laughed and laughed at the story about Abby swallowing her ring. I'm so glad she is alright, and I'm sure it was scary at the time, but what a funny story!