Monday, February 5, 2007

Hey Baby, What's Your Sign?

February 18th, is the Chinese New Year. My husband's family being Japanese enjoy looking up their signs to see if they really are what they should be. Abby believes that since she is a bunny, she is truly a friend to all. Peter is a snake, and can tend to be a bit sneaky. Michelle is a sheep or goat and lives in her own happy world. When we had Cristine and Rick realized she was a rooster he said "Oh, NO! Another one. (his mom and sister are both a bit rooster-ish, peck peck peck). I'm an ox, and I like to think that is why I'm a born leader (ha!), detail oriented (HA HA) and a tireless worker (ha ha ha). What can I say about Rick? He just a dog!
Here's a site that has some information on each animal. http://http://chinese.astrology.com/

One day my mother in law came over with a book, wanting me to read about Rick being a dog. She thought everything fit him so well. My question is how can people born the same year all be the same animal and not be identical? Is it like the other horoscopes, and you can pick and choose what applies to you?

When I think about the Chinese Zodiac I'm reminded for some reason of the Hmong people and celebrating New Years with them. Isn't there a picture of Laurie and I dressed up in traditional Hmong clothing? Want to go play catch? How about some egg rolls and noodles? It also reminds me of when we learned dressed up in Laotion clothing, and danced to the crummy tape at a fundraising dinner. I think there is a fun picture of us in then too. If you look closely you may even notice a 'mosquito' bite peeking out. I didn't have enough chest to hold the yards of fabric that was wrapped around me.
Heather

4 comments:

wendy said...

mosquito bite. ha ha ha!

I was just reading about the fabulous Chinese New Years Celebrations here. I am hoping to be able to go downtown for a parade.

Do you remember the dangly carrot game that we played at Tare's? house?

Mary said...

Heather, how embarassing! Did you realize it at the time that you were showing a mosquito bite?

Wendy, I remember the carrot game! Haha!

Maybe we need to go into D.C. for some new years festivities, sounds fun!

orchard_girl said...

That carrot game was tons of fun! I think I'll have to tell the Elder's quorm leader about that one.

Mom, you must have the pictures. I don't have any of my growing up pictures. i think we need to start scanning those into the computer. I'd also love some copies of your wedding pictures.

A New Year's celebration sounds fun, I'll have to see if Portland has anything.
Heather

Super Happy Girl said...

At least you didn't use the mosquito bite picture as your Christmas card, right?

I'm a dog. After reading about it makes sense and describes me to a "T" (I don't even know what that means, is the T for Totally?). Anyway, who knew?