Friday, February 16, 2007

Clean up-clean up




At work, I've been helping in the floral department. Being a bit artistic and creative, I've really enjoyed myself. I've had fun trying to make arrangements, but mostly I've been there to unpack boxes and clean up.

Valentine's Day was crazy. Watching men frantically try to pick out the perfect arrangement was fun. Watching my manager and co-workers start to unravel was also entertaining. I felt like I was running a marathon, I'd ring up one customer, with several in line, the phone would ring, and I'd try to hear and figure out what that person wanted. Then I'd have someone ask me a question, so I'd go out on the floor to try to answer it, only to get mobbed by several more questions. I was in charge of getting the deliveries out, and organized....etc. If your loved one picked out flowers for you, there is more of a thought process involved in it than I realized.

Yesterday I my co-worker called, saying the mess was huge and they needed my help. So I went to work early and was amazed by the aftermath of Valentine's Day. The department looked like a war zone (not that I've ever seen one) or maybe like a hurricane came through (never seen that either). The young girls who closed up decided they were tired and left without doing any of the cleaning they were asked to do. Not knowing where to begin, I started in one corner and with a broom. Then I went back through and put things away. I finished my evening by cleaning out the tool drawer. Since I was the one who closed last night, it was nice to go to work this morning and have everything still clean and in it's place.

All the cleaning and organizing made me look at my house. How is it that I enjoy condensing and straightening at work, but ignore it at home? Tonight after being unsuccessful in trying to locate a pen in our junk drawer, I cleaned it out. It only took about 10 minutes, but it is so nice. Abby keeps opening the drawer saying, "look there's our scissors, or look I can find a paperclip". My goal is to continue with the straightening and organizing. The computer box from may find a new home, and maybe I can finally get Rick to take his tools back to the barn. And if I'm feeling daring, I may even take down our Christmas lights so I can put that box away, it will have to stop raining on my days off before I attempt that though.

I remember hearing a story once when I was in Primary. A little boy lived in an old run down town. One day he found a can of paint and painted his wagon. Later that day he parked his newly painted wagon in front of his weathered picket fence. When his dad came home from work, he saw the wagon and the old fence. He gave the fence a fresh coat of paint. The neighbor saw the nice fence and decided to paint his house, this continued on until the entire town was clean and rejuvenated. Maybe my clean junk drawer will be like that, the catalyse to a clean and organized house. (I also think that when I do my weekly de-cluttering of the counter tops, only to find it in the same condition the next week.) Maybe I just need to teach everyone around here to put things away when they finish using them. Maybe it would be easier to hire a house cleaner.

7 comments:

wendy said...

Ahh, a clean junk drawer. I need to work on that, too. I am avoiding my junk by keeping it in a few boxes in the garage, but it might be time to go through the last few boxes, and find them homes, and get the garage in order...

Sounds like an exciting week in the floral department!

Inspiration Move said...

Whew, your Valentines day sounds exhausting! I think it is impossible to keep a house clutter free with kids. If your kids are anything like mine, they follow behind you and re-clutter just what you have de-cluttered. I try though, oh I try!

Carrot Jello said...

Your Valentines story reminds me of working in a flower shop. It was always filled with men who came in 15 minutes before we closed. Nothing like putting your wife last on your list, lol.

Mary said...

Fun Valentine's day! They put you to work! I'm glad you got to use some of your creativity, you always come up with such fun ideas.

I like the idea of the organizing spilling over from one area to the next. I don't have enough drawers in my kitchen to have a junk drawer, so instead I have a little ceramic cup Sarah made, filled with pens, some loose change, chapstick, stamps and whatever finds its way there. Randy's desk downstairs becomes the paper magnet. It is almost never clean! Sigh.

Deanne said...

I worked in a flower shop when I first married (10 years ago!), and that V-day was crazy! I think I have a good idea of how your day went at work.

If your thinking of doing some re-org you should visit 'Ramblings' blog (she is listed on my blog friends). This past week she has done what you are suggesting, she tackled one or two problem areas a day. The fun part, for me, was that she posted before and after pics! If you need any motivation you should check her out!

I hope your re-org projects continue! I wish you well!!! :)

Unknown said...

IT must have been fun helping out in the floral department.

The men in my town must not be very romantic, because there was mounds of flowers and ballons and pretty arrangements that went unpurchased on Valentines day and were all marked off 50%.

orchard_girl said...

It was fun really fun to work in the Floral Dept. It was interesting to note the amount of money some guys spent. Big arrangements, balloons, cards, chocolate. Then to see all the cheap married men who bought the cheapest bouquet, or just a single rose.