Friday, February 2, 2007

Hey What's for Dinner?

This year I've been trying to plan out our weekly meals, based on my work schedule. Something from the crockpot if I work until 6pm or so. I've also been trying to eat up leftovers, and not forget about the food hidden in the drawers in the fridge.

Here's my delima, I am out of ideas! This week we had tacos for 2 nights, then chili for the next 2 nights. Tonight we're having little smokies, chopped in half cooked with sweet peas served with rice. Sound yummy? Last week we ate a lot of chicken. But now my mind is blank. Since I work at a grocery store, and I don't work this weekend, I'm not about to show my face in there unless it's a life or death situation.

-----
Thought for the day.
Get caught saying something nice about someone else. Today I met one of my co-workers husbands. He told me that she'd said I was a very nice person. That made my day. It also made me evaluate what I say to my husband and others about those around me. Working at the same place for over 14 years, and having many co-workers who have been there almost as long, we can almost call ourselves family. We can also in a matter of seconds tell you each others good and bad qualities, sometimes without taking a breath. Today after my nice complement, I started thinking about some of the not so nice things I'd been saying about others, and I resolve to try to improve my thoughts and comments about others. I think our kids and spouses can also benefit from this. I know my kids get pretty excited if they hear me mention some good thing they've done.

-----
Mom and Dad, Happy Anniversary! I tried to call you to get the special German Chocolate Cake recipe, I think I may still try to post it.
Love you guys! Thanks for the good example you've set!

Happy Ground Hog Day everyone
Heather

4 comments:

Inspiration Move said...

I am in the same boat as you with dinner. I feel like I repeat meals too often. I am not all that creative in the kitchen, and even though I may think and think about what to have for dinner, it is usually just ordinary. I need some new ideas too. I always think it would be fun to invite people over for dinner, but then I think, what would I make?
I like your resolution to say positive things about other people. You rock sista

Mary said...

Great post Heather! I love the reminder to say nice things to people. It is always nice to t,receive compliments isn't it?

As for food, I get in ruts too. I always make a list of 10 meals or so before I go grocery shopping so I shop for ingredients for them. Then I have the list in front of me when it comes time to decide what to make. There are still times I stand in front of that list and have no idea what to make! I hate the guilt of having produce to bad before I get to it!!

Anyway, one thing I did was sign up at http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf for their free magazine that has recipes with pictures (I love that) and the recipes are easy and use stuff I usually have in the house. So that has helped. And I use recipes out of ward cookbooks a lot too.

But my cooking enthusiasm comes in waves. But we are trying to cut eating out to a minimum so if I make good dinners, then Randy and I both have lunch for the next day, so that's a bonus too.

I went grocery shopping on Monday, so we had a good week for meals. What we have had this week:

-Pork chops (on Sunday)
-spaghetti and salad
-beef stew
-pasta with zuccini and sausage
-homemade pizza (I'll give you the crust recipe if you wan so yummy)

Tonight we're finishing leftover pasta and pizza. Strange that I haven't used any chicken this week. It feels like we are ALWAYS having chicken.

Have you tried the home made chicken nuggets recipe mom sent for Christmas? Lindsey likes those a lot. We also love Wendy's potato soup.

LONG Comment! Sorry! I love eating.

Mary said...

More ideas:

Chicken pot pie (easy recipe on Kraft.com)
Taco salad - I like it with grilled chicken, black beans, canned corn, salad fixings, chips, etc.
Breakfast foods (waffles or eggs)
Stir fry
Chili dog night
Chimichangas from leftover roast
Chicken salad sandwiches

That's enough from me!

wendy said...

Fun entry! How nice to hear a compliment!

Hannah has been planning meals this week (yeah for Personal Progress) and keeping me to the list. That has been nice to have it listed on the refridgerator.

We had:
Chili Dogs
Spagetti
Tacos
Ravioli
Breakfast
Shish Kabobs?

Not very exciting, but it was great to have it all planned, and Mr. FBI guy saw our list and thought we were totally organized!