Friday, November 14, 2008

Book Club

Our ward has had a book club for a number of years. I have tried to go as often as possible. Most of the time I am working and unable to attend. Two months ago I was able to go for the first time in about a year. When they were discussing where they would meet the next few months, my hand shot up and I blurted out that November would be a good month for me. My first thought were that a deadline would help to get a few things cleaned up around here. My second thought was how can I gracefully back out.

Last week I worked on a few cleaning projects, which was a good thing since I was sick on Wednesday and wasn't able to clean as much as I had hoped. Rain prevented us from doing much outside. But the outhouse that was positioned close to the house during a short time of septic tank troubles was finally moved. (First impressions are a good thing, and I didn't want anyone thinking that we didn't have indoor plumbing).

People came bearing lots of desserts, friendships were renewed and our book was discussed. We read (OK, I didn't finish my assignment, but should be able to today) Left To Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Left-to-Tell/Immaculee-Ilibagiza/e/9781401908966 This was quite an incredible book, I enjoyed the comments made by those visiting.

Next month we are reading Dickens, A Christmas Carol. This one I have already read and we'll be going to someone else's home.

Phew, I survived.

4 comments:

wendy said...

Good job Heather! I'm sure all the fun was due to the fabulous hostess!

Anonymous said...

Heather, I love that you got the outhouse moved! A book club - how fun! Your dad is going to be gone for a week, I need a book - which book that you have read lately would be your favorite?

Mary said...

Great job Heather! I'm glad it turned out to be fun.

Unknown said...

I am so bummed that I missed it! It was so great to see you at the pool. I hope you make it a weekly affair for you and C. It is so nice to see people outside of chruch as I feel like I never get a chance to talk to them at chruch! Have a great week!