Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Clam Diggity


Last week we headed up to the Puget Sound to go clam digging. This is a family favorite activity. Rick really enjoys vacations where he works as hard as he does while in the orchard. Abby enjoys digging the clams, and had gotten to be a good clammer. Peter loves to dig and play in the water. Michelle likes to look for pretty shells and hold worms. I enjoy clam digging, but mostly just like being together as a family.

The day of the departure found me up early, with everything ready, ON TIME! We shoved the last of our stuff into our travel trailer only to find that we couldn't find the keys to the travel trailer. We spent many hours tearing apart our house. We looked in little worn jackets, under the washing machine, deep in the junk drawer, in sock drawers. We looked through my mother-in-laws house, the barn. Any and every place we could think of. Finally Rick looked in our van, and quickly located the missing set of keys. Rick asked my hours earlier to look there, but it was locked up, with the keys safely put away. Plus I was busy sweeping up the dust bunnies I found under the washing machine.

We made it to the campsite safely, and enjoyed several fun days filled with rain, clam digging, good food and math bingo. Rick's sister, brother-in-law and niece came over one afternoon. They helped as we shucked oysters, and gave the kids some cool flashlights.

One morning while Rick was visiting with our neighboring campers, I decided to start the propane grill. I couldn't get the long lighter to light, so I leaned in to watch a little closer and POOF. I smelled burning hair, and quickly felt to see if I still had eyebrows. I dashed inside to take a look in the mirror. Fortunately I still have eyebrows and eyelashes, they just aren't quite as long as they were. So long bushy eyebrows. The bangs that have recently grown back after having Cristine are once again short and sticking up, but I still have hair. Rick is still laughing at me.

Fortunately the lost keys and hair loss were the only mishaps. We had so much fun, we voted to return in April. Sarah and Anna do you guys want to meet us with us?

7 comments:

Deanne said...

Sounds like a great time with family! We will be camping this summer with my brother and his family in Yosemite. I can't wait! This is just one of many reasons why I am so glad to be living back on the West coast, being able to spend more time with extended family! Praise the Lord!

orchard_girl said...

Deanne, I've been wondering what your brother's been up too. Is he still in CA? Married? Kids? What's the scoop. The last time I remember seeing your brother was shortly after his bike got stolen in high school. Wow, that was a long time ago!

Super Happy Girl said...

You posted this Wednesday and it is just showing up today on bloglines :( what’s up with that?

You left comment of my blog about the clams and didn’t even know you DID have clams for real.

Your story about starting the grill reminded me why I don't touch that thing :)
What a fun time! How were the clams? Where on Puget Sound did you go?

wendy said...

What a fun post! It sounds like a great vacation - atleast the keys were lost at the beginning of the trip and not somewhere on the beach...

Sorry about your eyebrows!

orchard_girl said...

NCS-we go up near Gig Harbor, a state park called Penrose Point. It is so much fun! Hey are you going to the Time Out for Women in May? I'm thinking about it, maybe we could meet up for lunch.

Wendy-your right, keys lost in the middle or end would have been really terrible.

Laurie said...

Sounds like a blast, Heather! I remember when Randy and I met up with you guys on a clam-digging expedition once. I wonder if we met you at the same park you went to this time? My memory fades...

Deanne said...

My brother still lives in the area (Modesto) with his wife and 3 kids. Our weddings were exactly 3 months apart (my poor mother!) and in a couple weeks will celebrate 11 years! He has 1 girl and 2 boys (in that order) Haylee just had her 10th b-day, Alec is 7 and Isaac will be 6 in June (exactly 2 weeks after Mae's 6th b-day).

I can't believe you remember his bike being stolen!!! I am most impressed! That must have been, what, 20 years ago? Oh boy, I can't believe it was that long ago!