Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Autumn Fun

Our last few weeks have been packed full. My youngest sister Erin, her husband Bridger and their cute little guy Forest moved to the Portland area. We've been able to spend a couple days with them and look forward to holidays, hikes, bbq's, zoo trips, coast camping trips etc. It is exciting to have family nearby again!
In between helping them move in, wood cuts, huckleberry picking and awaiting harvest to resume, I decided to start decorating for fall.
My fall decorating ended before I changed out our cherry blossom twigs. I have looked all over town trying to find a fun fall idea for the giant vases. We may glued orange and yellow tissue paper on twigs if I can't find anything better.

One of the hard thing about living with my mother in law is working around and with all of her many nick knacks. A few things I decided were too springy and was able to put them away. I think the Asian vases are too huge to try to move. I'm not too sure which season the Buddha statue would look best in. He too is quite heavy and I haven't been able to figure out a place I can move him without hurting any one's feelings.

5 comments:

Deanne said...

Ahh...I love Portland! In some ways I wish I was back there, but it sure can't beat the 'brutal' winters we have here! :)

anyway, about the replacement of the cherry blossoms....how about pussy willow? or curly willow for that matter? Just a thought. but please do let us know what you end up finding and using!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm jealous. I'd love to get to do all the family things. I love the fall light decoration. How about a couple of branches of fall leaves in the big vases. How is harvest going?

Chris and Melanie said...

How awesome that your sis is in Portland!!!! I wish we had family that close. :)

Rannie said...

You are such a festive Mom. I bet everyone loves all the fall decorations.
BTW- the Ho Te San is not a Buddah, it is a symbol of good fortune and prosperity....notice how chubby he is? My Mom saw it,while shopping with my Dad in an antique store she admired it because it is so beautifully painted ...my dad went back later and bought it for her and gave it to her as a gift.

Unknown said...

hey heather we should go to the zoo. on the second tuesday of every month is only $2 per person.
p.s. we have enjoyed living close to you as well.