Monday, October 1, 2007

Harvest-Part 1

Here's a few photos from our harvest. I took pictures of most varieties of pears we grow, but you'll have to imagine how beautiful our Bartlett pears were this year. D'Anjou pears. These are hard to figure out when they are ripe, but if you get it right, heaven! A few weeks ago, we went to a small local restaurant. I ordered the pear and Gorgonzola cheese salad, with pine nuts and arugula. It was so good, much better than the main dish I ordered. Need to figure out what type of salad dressing to use, think I may make this for dinner tomorrow night.
Bosc pears. I think these are beautiful, sleek looking. I have a recipe for blanched pears with chocolate sauce. One of these years I'll get around to actually making it.
Forrelle pears. This was only our third actual harvest of these pears, we planted them when Abby was a baby. They are smaller than the other pears we grow and a pain to pick! It always seems like we will pick these forever since it takes so many to fill a bin, but in reality, it only took 5 days.
Bins of anjou pears waiting for me to haul in.
This is my tractor. Isn't it cute? I love to race around the orchard on this. I think the workers like to laugh at me as I bump along. I'm probably not as fast and efficient as some people, but they tolerate me, my tractor and my broken Spanish.
Anjou Pears in a bin.
Harvest was great this year. We had more workers than last year, I only picked had to pick the last 4 days, which was great. The weather was nice the entire time, which was a blessing, picking in the rain stinks!
Get ready, more harvest pictures to come!

11 comments:

Mary said...

What great pictures! The pears are beautiful. Congrats on finishing pear harvest! When do you start picking the apples?

I can't wait to see more!

Super Happy Girl said...

Mary pretty much said everything I was going to say.
So I'll say this instead: Cool!

Deanne said...

So that's where you've been (instead of blogging)!!! You were out gathering blog fodder! :)

Great pics! Wish I could help harvest! I always had fun helping you guys when we were kids. I remember sitting at a long table in your backyard and helping to shell almonds (that was what we were doing, right?). Then your dad took us to The Ice Cream Company! Good times, good memories!

Unknown said...

we love the asian pears you all sent us! they are a delight! thankyou so much! love you all!

wendy said...

Wow - Heather - beautiful pictures! I wish we could have been there for harvest!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful. Yay for harvest being over!

Jane said...

These pictures are so lovely. They remind me of a friend's wedding with the theme of pair/pears. Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and sharing about homework. I have become aware recently that too many families are having an overload of homework at the expense of their precious family time. I suggest using a timer set to 3 to 5 minute intervals and having her do her homework in chunks. When the timer goes off check in and offer suggestions and/ or praise. Then set the timer again and go off to do your own work for a bit. These seems to keep the kids in my class on track and it allows me to work one on one with some children.

Jane said...

These pictures are so lovely. They remind me of a friend's wedding with the theme of pair/pears. Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and sharing about homework. I have become aware recently that too many families are having an overload of homework at the expense of their precious family time. I suggest using a timer set to 3 to 5 minute intervals and having her do her homework in chunks. When the timer goes off check in and offer suggestions and/ or praise. Then set the timer again and go off to do your own work for a bit. These seems to keep the kids in my class on track and it allows me to work one on one with some children.

Laurie said...

Beautiful pictures! Congratulations on finishing your harvest!

Deanne said...

Hey Heather, I saw this template and thought of you. Not sure if it's your style or not, but it has a piece of fruit and it looks sophisticated!

http://purple-apple-template.blogspot.com/

Just a thought!

Deanne said...

Whoops....nevermind! It doesn't have space for link etc. Sorry!