Monday, July 23, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY! Today is my sister Mary's birthday. I was 5 when she was a baby, I couldn't believe that something so small and cute could be alive. My mom would lay her to sleep in a wicker bassinet. I liked to peek over the side to touch her and then I'd quickly pinch her to make sure it was a real baby and run off while hearing her cry.

I like to think that I helped influence Mary in becoming the great person that she is, but I think I caused more tears and torment than I should have. On her first day of junior high, Mary, Wendy and I joined a few friends at Denny's for breakfast. After a quick barely edible meal, we rushed across town to take Mary to the Jr. High. I thought I was being a cool, fun older sister, but we rode in my friend's topless jeep, causing Mary's hair to stand on end. Probably wasn't the way she'd planned to start the year.

Mary, I thought about calling you today, but with your problem phones, I couldn't remember which one was working. Hope you have a fun camping trip. Happy Birthday, I love you! No, I did not forget about your birthday, I just wasn't able to blog until 10pm.
Heather

5 comments:

wendy said...

Cute birthday wish! I love the part about running away crying. Poor baby Mary!

I just posted up my birthday wish, too!

I'm trying to limit my computer time to after bed...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mary!! I hope you get a great bronze tan while at the beach!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you Mary! Thanks for writing a post to her Heather. I tried to call her but her phones are mixed up. So if you read this comment Mary - Happy Birthday to you! Mom

Unknown said...

happy Birthday. tried calling on your birthday too but phone problems prevented me from getting to you! love you

Mary said...

Thanks Heather! The story about pinching me in my bassinette makes me totally crack up. Remember when you used to torture me by trying to lick me? blech