Friday, May 11, 2007

Seeds and Water

Today I got off work at 2:30pm, just in time to meet the kids at the bus stop. After relaxing for a bit, we went to a local gardening center to buy seeds and plants for our garden. The kids had a fun time pulling the wagons around, and I enjoyed looking at all the beautiful plants and flowers. We stuck to our task, and just bought things for our garden, although we did have fun picking out some different varieties. We came home with tomato plants, zucchini plants, including one called an eight ball zucchini. We bought my favorite squash, sweet dumpling, Japanese eggplant, Japanese cucumber and edamame (soybeans). We bought radish seeds, Michelle found a variety called Easter Egg, showing colorful radishes so we bought those. Abby picked out our carrots, orange plus a rainbow kind. Peter found some giant sunflower seeds and stayed away from the vegetables, just like at dinner. We also purchased green beans, beets, green onions seeds. I think that is all. What are you planting? Did we miss anything?

Before we left, Peter was playing with a sink full of water. When we got home, he and Michelle went back to their pond. I noticed a LOT of water on the floor, and got after them for splashing so much. We got out towels and started drying it up, but I couldn't figure out why it was coming out of the cabinet. We then realized the sink was leaking. I quickly drained the water in it, and cleaned out all the junk in the cabinet and began sopping up the water. I showed Rick the sink when he got home, and he took it apart. For some reason the 'plumbers putty' dissolved and was allowing water to seep through. The sink full of water didn't help the problem, but the thing had probably been leaking small amounts of water. We patched up one side of the sink, checked on the other side and decided it too was leaking. Rick is now fixing the other side of the kitchen sink. Why would the putty be leaking when it's only been used for less than 2 years? Thank goodness for Rick, I wonder how much a plumber would charge for after hours on a Friday night?

3 comments:

wendy said...

We have one bean plant, that emily planted at school, two tomatoes with a few green tomatoes growning, and two pineapple.

I dug up a plot, and bought seeds a couple months ago, but I haven't planted yet.

Mary said...

That's a great shopping trip! And productive too. Take some pictures of your garden for before and after moments. I have been hoping to plant tomatoes, zuccini/squash, beans, etc, as a container garden on our back deck, but haven't done it. I wonder if I will get around to it before it's too late?

Deanne said...

Whoa mama! That's quite a garden!! I like how you wrote that your son stays away from the vegetables, even in the garden center!!! Too funny!