Saturday, December 12, 2009

Cristine/Crafts and Candles

Cristine turned 4 last week. She has been so excited about her birthday. A few weeks ago while we were driving she told me that when she turned 4 she would know how to read. Then she said that when she turned 4 she was going to learn how to ride a bike. I thought those both sounded like pretty good goals. Then she told me that when she turned 4 she was going to learn how to drive a car! I decided that she thought 4 was a magical age. Until the day after her birthday. She told me that she decided that she was going to skip 4 and just be 5. I am just loving all her fun comments!
I've been making some cute gift card/cash holders for a few lucky family members. They were super easy. First I cut out the holly leaf shapes, placed them on some card stock and sewed through them with fun red string. After sewing the leaves, I folded the card.

I folded it twice. One fold was maybe only a 1/2 of paper. I stitched up the sides a bit to hold the bottom fold. Then I painted on 3 red circles to look like berries. I used double side tape to hold the front of the card down and to keep the money or gift card inside. I thought they turned out so cute. I had planned to make our Christmas cards this way, minus the bottom fold. But haven't gotten around to that...maybe next year!


These are our ice candles. Each winter we have a week or two of below freezing weather. During the day we place plastic containers with water out to freeze. Then at night we invert them, add a candle and light it. They are beautiful. I love seeing them when we go outside.



4 comments:

Deanne said...

love the cards Heather! what a great idea!! I may have to steal it since we're doing gift cards with my husbands family. Oh, and the ice candles....love that too!

Merry Christmas!!!

Mom said...

Heather, what a fun blog. The picture of Cristine is so cute and her comments crack me up! Your ideas are fun too. I wish I had known about the ice candles last week when we were having -5 degree weather. But winter is not over so maybe I'll get to try them.

Bridger Field said...

The cards are awesome and very creative. I also like the ice candles, we got ice shots (ice mold to make shot glasses) for a white elephant gift at a work party, which we could use as ice candles! Thank you so much for having us on thanksgiving, we had a lot of fun and it had been too long since we'd seen you. Have a great week and a merry christmas!

Unknown said...

heather, I love those cards! I think it is so cute that you sewed on the paper - what a great idea! Also the ice candles are so cute, I am going to have to create some of those candle holders this winter.