Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What's Baking?


I worked a few hours on Sunday, but managed to leave early. Sundays always seem like a good day to bake, a tradition I picked up from my dad. He enjoys making desserts and often made fudge on Sundays. That sounds SO good right now, how I'd like to have my spoon ready to scrape out the bowl. Instead of fudge, I decided to make cherry pie. It is Rick's favorite, plus my freezer is full of pie cherries.
Today I mixed up a double batch of zucchini bread. My garden is full of zucchini, we've eaten it bbq'd, steamed, fried, cooked with bacon and egg plant (also from our garden). I've frozen some to make bread with this winter. But everytime I look there is more. So tonight when it cools a bit more, I've got to put the batter in the oven. My mother-in-law makes a zucchini relish which is the secret ingredient in her potato salad. She's made a batch or two, but I think it is time for me to get over my avoidance of canning. Until then I am in great need of zucchini recipes.

8 comments:

Deanne said...

Mmmmmm....cherry pie! Looks delish.....I'll be right over!

Super Happy Girl said...

Yum!
This reminds me that I need to learn how to can. Pronto.

Anonymous said...

Heather, the pie is so beautiful! I wish I was around the corner so I could have a slice. And fresh zuccinni and eggplant? delish!

wendy said...

Wow! What a pretty pie! I am planning to bake an apple pie for our Aloha Friday ward potluck. I hope mine looks as nice as yours!

Anonymous said...

You almost inspire me to make a blackberry pie today - well it is Sunday, maybe I should. We picked 20 pounds of blackberries, sold 11 and gave away 3 so that leaves enough to make a pie and still give some to Erin and Bridger. I wish we could have gone to the fair with you - one of my favorite memories of HR. Love you, mom

Mary said...

I love the HR fair. And that pie looks delish. I have never made a cherry pie so I am muy impressed by this!

Rima Family said...

This pie looks delish! I was so excited to read that you and your kids entered so many things in the fair. How fun! We are getting our entries ready for next week...the boys are going to decorate some cupcakes... one will be a colorwheel, and the other will be a caterpillar. We just picked up a big box to carry them in at JoAnn's yesterday. I feel bad because they thought we were going right home to make the cupcakes... and here they have to wait till next week! Heather, I think I may have misplaced your e-mail address...I'll look for it

Laurie said...

Sounds like you have a rockin' garden! Beautiful pie!