Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Happy Harvest

Last night we picked most of our pumpkins and winter squash. Isn't this fun. Now we need to get them cleaned up and put in our house.
This year we taught Abby how to drive a tractor. Isn't she cute concentrating while she backs up.


This is me on the forklift. I am much more comfortable on the tractor than the forklift, but I manage. Just don't expect me to be quick.

What I've bottled up so far this year: Peaches, Pears, Green Beans (woo hoo for using a pressure canner!), Tomatoes, Zucchini Relish and Salsa. The salsa is truly amazing, crossing my fingers that the next batch tastes as good!
I have learned a lot while canning this year. Here's a few things I've picked up. I miss my mother in law. Last year was so much easier having someone else to help peel and slice. Her years of experience know how were really helpful. While canning peaches I think she was nearby prompting me. Have a network of friends you can call to ask questions. I have called several ladies from church, each one has patiently walked me through whatever I ask. Yea for friends! Start with a mostly clean house. That way just one room is trashed when you finish. And finally: when your husband suggests buying the big container of cottage cheese at Costc0, do it. Pears taste so good with cottage cheese and when you have 50 jars....



4 comments:

Deanne said...

You can AND drive a fork lift?! You're so awesome! :) I bet those canned goods will be nice this winter! Does that make you feel like a pioneer woman? Can you kill and prepare your own chickens for dinner too? :)

Unknown said...

Abby driving a tractor? YIKES!
Your jars look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Your canned food lookes so beautiful. I am jealus that you know how to can; and drive a forklift. Abby looks so grown up driving a tractor. I bet that is a big help!-Anna

orchard_girl said...

Deanne-haven't tried to kill or prepare my own chickens-waiting to hear from Sarah on that first.

Erin, Anna-come visit we, I'll teach you how to can. Need to make apple pie pack next, you could help, and take some home with you.
Heather