Monday, August 17, 2009

Just Peachy

Our first box of peaches didn't make it into jars, we ate them instead. Last Monday we picked several boxes. By Friday most were ready to can. Due to the mess the cherry juice made, I decided to try canning outside. I think this made the process easier in some ways, but harder in others. I kept forgetting things and had to run back inside for them. Hopefully next time I'll be better prepared. Next on the canning list: tomatoes, green beans, zucchini relish, Bartlett pears...
The sticky part.

The setup.


The end result. What do you think? Blue ribbon at the fair? I think the water was boiling a bit too hard, they seem to be floating more than my second batch.



5 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so impressed! That looks like a lot of work, but with a beautiful result! I only have memories of mom canning, but haven't ever tried it myself.

Great job sista!

Rima Family said...

They look absolutely delicious! Both the fresh and the canned peaches sound sooo good to me! I saw some peaches at Walmart the other day that looked so good but they were really hard. I didn't get any thinking they weren't quite ripe, but I was really disappointed! So, be sure to enjoy a peach or two for me! :) Great job canning peaches by the way!

Mom said...

Wow Heather! Great job. You are incredible. How do you get it all done?

orchard_girl said...

Jennifer-wish you lived closer. I was given another box and I don't have time to do anything with them. I may try to dry a few.

Mom-Rick had the kids helping them out in the orchard. Hana helped me peel and slice.

Unknown said...

mm those peaches look amazing! yumm! i am very impressed with your canning capabilities.
p.s. can't wait to see you tomorrow!